Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Bermuda Triangle

Learning to be patient has been a life-long task for me. I really didn’t acquire the skill at all until I was in my late thirties, so it never came naturally to me. Now I find that I must dig deeper and find new reserves of patience. My treatment has come to a screeching halt due to a little problem with my right eye, which has more or less resolved itself. I don’t want to wait a minute longer to resume treatment, but I must. My doctors are being conservative and methodical in determining why I developed a problem, so until the process is complete, I have to wait it out. I will have had no less than eight appointments to get to the bottom of this mystery. Hopefully there won’t be a ninth.

So what else can possibly go wrong? Plenty! Yesterday there were large severe storms that hit PA and NJ. Apparently an electrical surge or lightning affected our house while we were at work. (What is it with me and lightning?) Our telephone and internet lines are now dead. The garage door lifter does not work. At all. And the pièce de résistance, our new, top-of-the-line air conditioner is running, running, running, but no cold air is coming out! And I believe it will be at least ninety degrees all week. Oh, by the way, the shower faucet in the hall bathroom developed a leak last week that will not stop, no matter what kind of new washers are installed. So now we need: 1) the ever-elusive Verizon technician, who was requested with no less than 50 menu options on their customer service line; 2) our garage door guy, who left for vacation today for a week; 3) the HVAC company; and 4) a plumber, who will no doubt charge us $100 just to walk through the front door.

I suppose that these are normal problems of life that all just happened to occur in a strange Bermuda Triangle kind of way. So, I will take a deep breath, relax, relax, and just let it all happen. Let it be. And my husband will write a lot of checks. ; )