Monday, August 30, 2010

Water Everywhere


Summer is winding down with the approach of school next week, so we are trying to make the best of it by fitting in a last trip to Great Wolf Lodge, which my son absolutely loves! For those of you who are unfamiliar with Great Wolf Lodge, it is a waterpark hotel that has a whimsical, rustic lodge theme. There are four restaurants inside, a spa, an arcade, and it even has a Starbucks, so I'm all set! It is a beautiful hotel and so much fun for our son. He would be in the water every day if he could. Maybe someday he will be on the swim team in high school, who knows?

Speaking of water…what is it about water, whether it is a lake or the ocean, that calms and mesmerizes? I wonder if it is the instinctive link back to our life in utero? Or is it the ancient, genetic pull to water as life giving and saving? Whatever causes that reaction, it is an authentic experience. There is nothing that I love better than sitting by the ocean and listening to the waves crashing at the shore. No wonder people have to pay more to live on the ocean or on a lake!

Speaking of lakes…we had a fabulous time yesterday at a local lake with our friends at an impromptu barbeque. The kids had a blast swimming, throwing a football, and playing games. The parents had a relaxing time talking and catching up with each other. I really enjoyed myself, and didn’t even mind the sand that came home with us too much! It really was a perfect summer evening.

I celebrated my birthday recently, and was thoroughly spoiled by my husband all weekend. Fritz took me out to several restaurants so that I wouldn’t have to cook, and I had my feet up in the hammock most of the weekend. He literally wouldn't let me do any work. I had to sneak in a load of laundry behind his back! He really outdid himself. I truly couldn’t have asked for a better birthday. I thank God I’m here and feeling well, on my way to better health.

Now, on to the medical stuff (yuck):

My first course of Revlimid/dexamethasone is now finished. Compared with Velcade, it was not bad at all. For those of you out there who may have to take Revlimid and want to know what my side effects were, here they are:

• My biggest side effect was the rash that I had on my head and arms for about 5 days.
• Edema from the steroids. Fat legs and feet. I put 10 pounds of water on really fast, and now have to take a lot of Lasix to get rid of it. Water everywhere!
• A little fatigue, but so far it is nothing significant. But I really want to sleep a lot; I can sleep 9+ hours easily.
• My hair is growing much slower than normal, which means more time between touch ups at the hair stylist. ; )
• “Chemo brain.” For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is a condition experienced by chemo patients where you feel a bit “fuzzy brained” and have a little trouble with recall of facts or names at times.
• Platelets are down to 194 from 215, a known side effect of Revlimid.
• I continue to have peripheral neuropathy, for which I take Lyrica, but the cause is unknown and I had it before the Revlimid was started. It could very well be caused by the amyloidosis.

All in all, it was a good month. There were none of the awful GI problems that I had with Velcade, which made me very happy. However, before I get too happy, these therapies are cumulative, so next month may differ. At the end of September, I will get another blood test to check my light chains. Let’s hope they are going DOWN! ; )