Friday, January 21, 2011

A Birthday of Sorts

Today I received 3.5 million stem cells to restart my bone marrow. What an interesting process! I had 5 medical personnel all crowded into my room, all of them there to defrost the stem cells, deliver them through a complicated bag-syringe-iv line setup, monitor my heart, and many other things.  Prior to the transplant, I was premedicated with benedryl, tylenol, and prednisone, all to prevent possible side effects from the preservative used on the stem cells. I was fortunate in that I didn't have any problems, and it all went very smoothly. So today is considered a sort of birthday, because following the high-dose chemo, I couldn't survive without those cells at this point. The cells will now begin the process of renewing my bone marrow and hopefully eradicating those hateful amyloid plasma cells.

I'm a bit homesick now, but I have a long way to go before I can return home. My body is just starting to feel the effects of the chemotherapy. I am beginning to feel tired, but thankfully that is the worst of it so far. I will get much sicker before I get better, but that's okay, because that is all part of the transplant process. I know that this is all going to turn out well, but I've got to finish climbing this mountain first before that can happen!

Thanks to all of you who have called and written with your support. It means very much to me. I won't always be able to reply to you all, but be assured that I am so grateful for your good wishes. I'd also like to give a special thanks to my bookclub friends, who have organized a dinner delivery  for my husband and son. I think they will be very spoiled by your wonderful cooking by the time I get home! The Ladies of the Lakes are the very best!