Monday, January 3, 2011

Don't Even Try to Stop Me!

Me and My Guys on Christmas Eve
Happy 2011. I’m hoping this is my lucky year!

I had a little setback recently. A few days before Christmas, I fell outside of the post office. My leg just gave out, and down I went on to my knees and hands. My doctor told me that Decadron weakens the large muscles in your body, so that was the reason why my legs were getting weaker and weaker with each dose. When I fell, it didn’t seem like a big deal. My knees were sore and a little cut up, but nothing drastic. But my legs were very swollen from from the steroids, so it was difficult to discern the damage.

But by Christmas Day, I was limping badly on my right leg. The next day, I could barely walk five feet without crying. Literally. And I don’t ever cry from pain, not even when I get a bone marrow biopsy. So that was my “big hint” that something wasn’t right. The next morning I went straight to my primary doctor, asked for an ultrasound and x-ray to see if I had a blood clot in my leg. I had one before, a long time ago, from a car accident. So I kind of figured out what it was. And I was right, so I was admitted to the hospital by that evening.

Fortunately, my local hematologist was at the hospital the next day, and he immediately became involved. My biggest fear was that the blood clot would delay my stem cell transplant. He spoke with Dr. Porter at HUP, and they came up with a treatment for the blood clot that would not interfere with the transplant at all. I was so happy! And with that treatment plan in place, I was discharged from the hospital within 24 hours. I was so relieved to get out of there. I felt like I was in a germ cloud. It is just the nature of hospitals, but the last thing I need is another complication.

I’m feeling much better now. I can walk very well and can drive again. So now that this "little problem" is being taking care of, we are going forward with planning my transplant schedule. As of today, it looks like I may be admitted to HUP by the middle of January. Once the date is definite, I will put it on my blog.

Thanks for checking in on me. We are doing well, hanging in there, and thinking positive thoughts! Happy New Year, everyone. ; )