Wednesday, April 21, 2010

All That Glitters...

I had another treatment yesterday, and it went very well. Since Velcade is not your normal napalm, burn-and-blast-everything-in-its-path-type chemo drug, I like to think of it as my own personal PacMan in my bloodstream, cheerily chomping up plasma cells. I do believe there is some benefit to be had from directed imagery, where you think of the medicine going in your body and having beneficial effects. So I picture "glittering" Velcade sliding through my dark veins, chomping on those lurking plasma cells. I guess it is working as my counts are starting to go down. Something is happening, that is for sure.  Now, if only I can find a seat in church where no one will cough on me! But I feel so well, that I practically feel guilty. Other people get so exhausted, so I'm very appreciative that I get such an easy treatment (for now).  This drug is so sophisticated that it is hard to explain how it works. Perhaps I can prevail on my good friend, Tim, a scientist, to give me an explanation in layman's terms for apoptosis? Then I'll post it for you all.  It is way more amazing than flying to the moon!

I just finished reading an inspiring story written by a 16-year and counting AL Amyloidosis survivor (http://sites.google.com/site/curedofamy/Home).  He was in congestive heart failure, very bad shape, and had a peripheral blood stem cell transplant in 1994! He was the 2nd patient known to have this done for amyloidosis. An amazing and inspiring story. This guy has more guts and gumption than any ten people you know.  I hope some of that has rubbed off on me. He has strengthened my certainty that I will do really well with this treatment. Do you know that many people don't get the proper diagnosis of AL Amy for over 2 years? It took my great docs only 3 months. That is going to make all the difference.

I have my book club tonight, and I hope that I can stay awake for it, since the Decadron woke me at 3:30 am. A small price to pay. More treatment on Friday, and then I get one week off for my counts to come back up. I actually look forward to the treatments, as I know I am making progress. And it doesn't hurt that my doctor's office spoils their patients with coffee, juices, breakfast treats and even hoagies for those with strong stomachs! If I stay on these steriods much longer around all that food, I'm going to have to buy some PLUS sizes.  ; )   Later.