Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fog to Sun

As I drove to work this morning, enjoying music instead of commercials with my new Sirius satellite radio (thanks to my wonderful husband), I passed through some heavy fog, especially near the blueberry fields. I like fog, because it changes the landscape so much. Trees look mysterious, the terrain is shrouded with mist, and everything has a magical, mystical quality. Suddenly, as I passed a large lake, the fog dissipated and sunshine poured out of the sky onto the sparkling water. Everything came sharply into focus. It was a great moment, making my long drive truly enjoyable.

Predictably, the steroids kept me awake throughout book club last night, and beyond! At least I’m getting a lot of reading done. But I feel fine, just with my usual rosy Thursday face. Tomorrow is my last treatment till May 3rd, and this time we will try it without the anti-nausea drug, Aloxi. I’m hopeful we can eliminate that. I’m a less-is-more type of person, so I prefer to use as little medication as possible. I’ll let you know how it goes. (Keep your fingers crossed.)

I want to increase my repertoire of vegetarian dishes, so please email me with your favorite entrée. I would greatly appreciate it! I need protein, but I also have to keep my cholesterol down, so eliminating animal protein will help a lot. Also, if you have a favorite no-salt food flavoring, I would love to hear about it.

I’ve added a few new links to my page that allow those interested to read more about my doctor, David Porter, at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and the Abrahmson Cancer Center; also, Boston Medical Center, where ASCT (autologous stem cell transplant) for amyloidosis was first performed and continues to be perfected; my favorite blogs; and more amyloidosis info. While reading the scary stuff, just keep this in mind: my sister, Karen, predicts that I will be the poster child for AL Amy remission! Thanks, Karen. : )