Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Denouement

de·noue·ment   /ˌdeɪnuˈmɑ̃/ [dey-noo-mahn]  –noun

1. the final resolution of the intricacies of a plot, as of a drama or novel.
2. the place in the plot at which this occurs.
3. the outcome or resolution of a doubtful series of occurrences.

It has been 6 months since my stem cell transplant in January. I saw Dr. Porter last week and found out that my 6 month labs are all very, very good. My light chains are in normal ratio, and everything else is holding steady since the transplant. It appears that there is no disease at this point. I am so blessed!

I think back on how there were at least 6 doctors and nurses in my hospital room when I had the transplant, and how they all diligently watched me for any reactions. It amazes me that this whole medical journey even happened. There were so many complications, risks and problems that were surmounted. It seems like it was a dream, almost. (Make that a nightmare.) But the best thing is that it worked. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

I think at this point that my amyloidosis blog should come to an end. I hope that it continues to be a source of information to those who are just beginning the arduous journey of treating amyloidosis. I've really enjoyed writing this blog, and I've appreciated your comments and encouragement. (Maybe someday I'll do a blog on all those books I read!)

I am so thankful for all my family and friends who have helped me through this awful time. As I've said before, every cloud does have its silver lining, and mine was to discover the generosity and love of so many people. My gratitude is endless to you all.

Fay

PS...to Becky: please email me at daybydaybyfay@gmail.com. This system doesn’t allow me to respond to your comments, so just email me and I’ll be glad to help you with information for your mother.