Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fried Grouper in Paradise

Sorry about the long delay between blogs! Now that school is out, my time is spent chauffeuring my son to and from play dates with his friends. His social life is enviable.

My doctor gave me the go-ahead for a long overdue family vacation with our dear friends the Harts on the fabulous island of St. John, in the US Virgin Islands. We had the most wonderful time and our hosts, the Harts, could not have been more gracious. We stayed in their villa at the Westin resort, and it was tropically gorgeous, complete with jewel-like hummingbirds! The food was wonderful, too, everywhere we ate. We had some fried grouper, served with two sensational sauces, that was so good it could make you cry. Our son and their daughter, who have been friends since she was born, had so much fun swimming and snorkeling with each other. The snorkeling was sensational, just like an underwater Disney World in the clearest water on the planet. It was truly a vacation to remember all our lives. Our thanks to the Harts are unending for inviting us to join them on this unforgettable trip.

No news is good news, and I have no news to share with you on my medical condition, other than that I feel generally good. My only complaint (other than very short hair) is that I get very tired in the afternoon, and I still get edema, especially after a week of jerk seasoning (salty), hot weather, and two very long airplane rides! I also have a very sore left shoulder, and I’m seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon to figure out if it is related to my disease, a result of who-knows-what medication, or simply just age-related wear and tear. Hopefully it will not require any surgury. I will write again once I get another series of tests (ugh), which will probably be at the end of the month. At this point, the tests are 3 months apart. I’ll be very happy if my doctor tells me that the next set will be in 6 months! Until then, enjoy the beautiful summer weather.   ; )