Friday, April 16, 2010

Changing My Life, One Drip at A Time

Today I received the second treatment of Velcade and Decadron. So far, so good. No nausea, due to the diligence of my doctor's office in giving fluids and Aloxi. I did get a particularly bright red face yesterday from the Decadron, just in time for an important meeting at work.  Naturally!  I had to meet several people from out of town, and I guess they figured I was either very hot, very flustered, or sunburned.  Also, I couldn't sleep much the previous night due to the steroids, so I was cruising through the day on 3.5 hours, definitely not my usual sleep standard. However, I managed to get through the day just fine. It is amazing...after all the anticipation of side effects, especially nausea, I have to say that I'm really surprised and happy that I feel so well.  I know that this may change drastically once my counts go down, but for now, I feel great. And I'm so very pleased that my new haircut won't fall out next week.  ; )

My good friend, Debbie M., a pediatric oncology nurse (A.K.A. SAINT) told me to take it just one day at a time. If you think that is just a cliche, try it sometime.  It is the best advice to receive.  So, thank you Deb, that's exactly what I'm doing.  I'm thankful for today, because the sun was shining, I received my treatment, and I'm able to come to work as well.  There are people at the hospital that I've met who have terrible metastasized cancer, or who feel so exhausted. I think of them and realize that although my disease is a bad one, there is always someone who has it worse.

On that note, my friends and family,  happy Friday, enjoy your weekend, and be sure to thank God for your good health. Bill and Pat, have a great vacation!