Friday, April 23, 2010

Earthquakes

The beautiful weather today brought to mind a lovely morning that I spent with Sally in the Piazza del Duomo in L’Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy, in May of 1998. L’Aquila is a gorgeous medieval city surrounded by the Apennine Mountains, full of astounding sights to see.  The air was crisp and cool, and Sally and I wandered throughout the morning market, enjoying our espresso and pastries, soaking up the sunshine and the surprisingly sophisticated yet small-town feel of that city. How can I express the appeal of a spring market day in Italy? Everywhere you look, you see color, color, color: tomatoes, geraniums, bright clothing, umbrellas of every hue, all against a bright blue sky and white-tipped mountains. It was so fun, so vivid, and so beautifully memorable.

Life in L'Aquila changed forever on April 6, 2009, after a destructive earthquake hit. To this day, L’Aquila still stands in shambles. It hurts me to think of it that way. I often wonder if any of the shopkeepers I met were hurt or killed in the earthquake. The masterpiece 13th century church of  Santa Maria Di Colemaggio, the very first church I saw in L’Aquila, was nearly totally destroyed. Chiesa Santa Maria del Suffragio, built in 1713, is situated in the market piazza where I watched swallows swoop in and out of the latticed dome. That same dome split down the side, a huge hole exposing the interior of the church to the elements.

Death and destruction is difficult to reconcile with such a lovely and tranquil place. I hope that someday they will reconstruct the historical center, but the citizens have given up hope that the government will do it for them. Last I read, they were forming volunteer bucket brigades to remove debris from within the medieval walls, which should make them see progress and feel more in control of their lives. Together, with their bonds of community and friendship, they will clear the debris and reclaim their city.

As we all know, life can change in an instant.  I think of my own footsteps treading that fragile fault line in L’Aquila. Most of the time, we walk the fault lines and nothing happens. Year after year, nothing out of the ordinary is likely to occur. You must think that way, rather than worry about the earthquake that might come. Why waste a gorgeous market day?

So, I’ve finished my first course with Velcade and dexamethasone. It wasn’t bad at all, not one bit, even without the anti-nausea medicine! I’m very thankful for that, and for my very excellent medical care. I’ve failed to mention my primary hematologist, Dr. Seth Berk, (Yes, Jen and Dave, Berk!) who I’m so fortunate to have take care of me. He’s a compassionate doctor at the top of his game, a grad/intern of Columbia U./Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, who completed his residency at U. of Chicago.  Although I’m feeling tired today, tomorrow I can sleep in and rest up. Enjoy your weekend, my family and friends, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words, loving thoughts, offers of help, and prayers. You are our bucket brigade!