Monday, June 28, 2010

Abundant Happiness

This past week provided me with a few challenges. I had some  side effects from my treatment that ranged from bad to alarming. I hope that they are under control now. It is impossible, I guess, to avoid these things when taking such powerful pharmaceuticals. However, I still find myself surprised when these things happen. I think this is because deep down I believe myself impervious to physical ailments. My whole life has been blessed with good health, notwithstanding some car accident injuries. It is still difficult for me to believe that I have very serious health problems. My mind just can’t go there, for some reason. Heck, I still can’t get over the fact that I have to wear glasses to read! Apparently I have a problem with acceptance, hmmm?

I’m taking a 5-day hiatus during my week off treatment to visit with my family in Illinois. It will be great to see all of them. There are always too many things to do and not enough days to do them in, but we will make it work. It doesn’t help that everyone is at least 30 miles apart, or more. The distance between my brother’s and my parents’ house is like driving from Philadelphia to New York. I forget how big Illinois is until I drive between my siblings' homes. Endless distances. Farms. Corn fields. Corn fields. Corn fields. I'm getting sleepy, sleepy….!

Ahh, but those farms have some cool old barns, and I just love them. They have some unique round barns, too! Why they made them round, I have no idea, but they are very interesting and picturesque. Some have those great old wind vanes with horses or pigs, and arrow lightning rods with antique green glass balls for protection (theoretically). I always want to take photos of them when I spot them, and make a coffee table book out of the collection. I find myself slowing down for antiques, even though I don’t have them in my home. And I’m always tempted to get some fresh brown eggs from the farms. That reminds me of Wisconsin summer vacations from my childhood, and brings back that simple happiness that children have in abundance.

So here is wishing you a week of abundant happiness and childhood pleasures.  Enjoy  ; )