Friday, June 25, 2010

Taking It Back

This week has been one of ups and downs. I’ve struggled to keep my equilibrium. One day I feel positive, the next, negative. I might easily chalk it up to the moodiness caused by steroids, but I think I blame them too much.

I have been fighting against this disease literally taking over my life. I wake up in the morning thinking about it, and go to sleep at night thinking about it. I don’t want to do that any more. It cannot be my life. I'm taking my life back. It may seem like one doesn’t have a choice, but we all do. No matter what our situation is, we can live life with the burden chained to our ankle, or we can let it reside in a backpack--a load to carry--but not a ball and chain hindering progress.

My son wakes each day with happiness, a smile on his face. He is such a joy to me. I don’t want to cloud his sunny outlook with my concerns. My husband is a positive person, and he surely deserves to have peace and joy in his life. They inspire me to try harder, to push through these difficulties, and to find the strength to carry my backpack.