Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Blame it on Steroids and Hallmark

I was told by a very dear friend that I understate the side effects of my chemotherapy. Perhaps it is unfair of me to do that for those of you out there dealing with the same treatment or facing it in the future. So, in full disclosure, I will list everything that I’m dealing with today on Revlimid:

1. I have a headache, but it is not a bad one.
2. The edema has been hard to control for about 10 days now; my feet get fat at night and my legs look like giant bratwursts.
3. I am hoarse from the dexamethasone (steroid) I took on the weekend, but it will go away in a day or two.
4. Vision in my right eye is a little blurry from the steroids, but not too bad.
5. I always feel hungry, although I am not. Definitely blame it on the steroids.
6. My hair is barely growing at all, but at least it is still on my head.
7. I have bruises from the daily Alixtra injections (to prevent blood clots).
8. I draw the line on gastrointestinal issues. These are best left to the imagination, or you can read all about it in the literature.

All in all, Revlimid is relatively easy for me to take. I have many more side effects from the steroids than from Revlimid. For me, Revlimid definitely has been much better than Velcade, considering the esophageal pain and GI issues that I had with it.

I cannot believe that September is nearly over. One month more, and all the leaves will be on the ground, waiting for us to rake them away. My computer calendar says there are 94 days left in the year! You know what that means if you have to buy Christmas presents. Only 87 shopping days left. In the spirit of living life Day by Day, I’m going to try very hard to enjoy shopping for presents this year. But so often I find I’m getting something for the bus driver and nothing for people that I’m closest to, simply because we’re all so overwhelmed by the number of gifts we feel we have to buy. That is so stupid. Anyway, it is too soon to be thinking about Christmas, but I blame it on Hallmark.

As for books, I’m just finishing up the Peter Mayle trilogy: A Year in Provence, Tojours Provence, and Encore Provence. If you’ve never read these before, I highly recommend them for truly enjoyable armchair travel and many hilarious stories. They are a great diversion from fat feet, but they do nothing to calm my appetite, as Mayle often describes wonderful food and wines. These books are not to be missed by anyone with the slightest interest in Provence or even anthropology.

Enjoy your breezy autumn day!  ; )