Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Jerseylicious Day

I hope you all had as wonderful of a Labor Day as we did here in South Jersey. The weather was fantastic; that is, once that pesky hurricane blew out of town! The hurricane never really got too close, just close enough to cause rain showers in Atlantic City on Friday and gusty winds all day Saturday. But the skies were blue and the temperature was blissfully under 90 degrees, for once. This summer has surely set a record for most days over 90 degrees, and our air conditioner has run nonstop since June.
I saw Dr. Porter on Tuesday, and he said things are going as best as he could possibly hope for at this point. That is very good news, indeed. My light chains are in proper ratio and within normal limits, and that blood test was taken before I started Revlimid, so he is hoping for continued good results. (They took 10 !! tubes of blood that day, so there should be further numbers soon.) Dr. Porter said he won’t stop the Revlimid therapy until my numbers plateau, assuming there are no unmanageable side effects, so it is possible that I won’t be going through transplant for several more months.

The transplant keeps getting pushed back further and further, which has its pros and cons. Pushing back means the date is getting closer to Christmas, which would be a terrible time to be in the hospital. But I simply can’t pay any attention to the calendar; I have to pay attention to my treatment and progress. Thus far, my progress is very good, and I’m very thankful. So what is the “pro” to pushing back my transplant? Just that I’m not doing it right now. I’m not exactly in a rush, for obvious reasons!

So, eat a tomato, have yourself a Jerseylicious day, and be glad for where you are right now.  ; )