Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Long, Hot New Jersey Summer

I started my new treatment plan with Revlimid and dexamethasone on Friday. So far it is going well, except that I have an itchy red rash on my scalp and ears. This is not too pleasant, but I can deal with it if I must. I had such a great weekend that I thought maybe I’d get away without any side effects. But I guess if you need chemo to have a big effect, it is more likely to cause problems. Hopefully it won’t get any worse that this, and I can continue to take it for as long as needed. The heparin shots are no big deal at all. I’m already used to sticking myself daily. So if you have to do it, don’t worry one bit!

I don't want "real" life to pass me by while I'm dealing with these annoying medical issues. So I am focusing on today, which is another gorgeous summer day. Do you feel the summer changing? Although it is still really hot here in New Jersey, the hottest summer I can ever remember, I've noticed those changes signifying that we have moved into the very heart of summer. The first big change is that the blueberries are gone now, which is very sad to me as I eat them every day without ever tiring of them. I love driving past the vast blueberry fields every morning and seeing gorgeous clumps of dusky blue fruit hanging on the bushes, but now I'll have to wait until next June to see blueberries again.

Another sign of deepest summer is the cacophony of cicadas singing every night once the sun sets. They are incredibly loud, and the hotter it is, the louder they sing. I am forever amazed that a little bug can make such a big noise. But I love to hear that symphony at night; if the windows are open it actually puts me right to sleep.

Fried Tomatoes
With the end of blueberry season comes the thick of corn season, and New Jersey has the very best sweet corn I’ve ever eaten. Also, the tomatoes are gorgeously red and ripe in the fields, and farm markets display huge baskets of luscious red fruit. I fried some red tomatoes in panko crumbs this weekend---yum!--simply because we had a glut of them. I also made panzanella, which epitomizes summer. There are as many recipes for panzanella as there are hilltowns in Tuscany, so look for one that appeals to you, or just make up your own.

I can’t forget to mention the ripe Jersey peaches hanging heavily on trees, their sweet scent putting bees and wasps into a frenzy. And I can’t cook fast enough to use up all the shiny purple eggplants that Jerry brings us from his garden, which we grill with olive oil and herbs.

This is the time of year when I truly love living (day by day) in New Jersey. Besides the bounty of produce grown here in South Jersey, there are many lakes, as well as beautiful rivers and canoeing streams that wind throughout the Pine Barrens. Of course, there is always the tempting option to go “down the shore” (as the locals say) to enjoy the beach and the ocean. What more could you ask for? I am so thankful to have this summer paradise in my everyday life. Forget your problems and enjoy your summer today, for it's slipping by quickly!

P.S.: Thanks to all my readers who were so kind as to leave comments. Maybe this isn't the Biggest Loser Blog after all!  ; )