Friday, May 21, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie



On my lunch break I went to Home Depot and bought some paint for my bedroom. I had a vision of a beautiful pale Robin’s Egg Blue, Caribbean Aqua, or some such thing. What I came out with was a gallon of Sand Pearl. As it turned out, the aqua blues looked horrendous next to my carpet color. So instead of walls the color of Caribbean water, I will have Caribbean beach-sand walls. I’ll get the blue in there some other way! 

Decorating is difficult for me. I have come to recognize my failings in it, which typically begin with the fact that I don’t envision what I have to work with, I just envision, period. Major mistake. My vision was of pale blue walls, painted white trim, wide-plank wood floors, an antique quilt in blue and cream, and a white iron headboard that definitely isn’t mine. What I actually have is stained woodwork and camel carpeting, with pine furniture that clashes with aqua. Once I saw Robin's Egg Blue next to that carpeting, the bubble burst. Awful. Back to reality. So I chose a creamy sand color, which will work very well with my new carpeting and my woodwork and my furniture and, for the time being, my black and cream toile fabrics.

Which all gets to my point at hand (I hope you knew I would have a point). Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have. I’m no saint. This Day By Day stuff can get a bit tedious. More than tedious, it can be totally frustrating. It may be my life's philosophy, but it isn’t always a great big piece of lemon meringue pie. Sometimes it is only lemons. Sour. Spitting out seeds, too. But eventually, you do get a piece of pie, and things look a little better. So I’m going to make it work. My life as Lemon Meringue Pie. My sandy-beachy bedroom décor. It will all work out. It just takes compromise and a willingness to change your vision. Enjoy your weekend; it should be a beauty. Bake a pie.