Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Midnight Books

Yippee, 90 degrees today! I wait all year for these fabulous, sunny hot days. I'm not a Leo for nothing. I need my sun and heat. Of course that means that I must keep watering those impatiens and new plants. (Which means that Fritz does it.)

Predictably, I had trouble sleeping again last night since I had another treatment yesterday of Velcade and Dexamethasone (start of Round 3). I hope this stuff is working! I'll find out the results next Tuesday. But I get a lot of reading done when this happens. I'm currently reading Midnight in Sicily, On Art, Food, History, Travel, and La Cosa Nostra by Peter Robb. This is strictly for serious Italo-philes. It is heavy on the La Cosa Nostra part, but extremely interesting and well written. I also recently finished Still Alice, by Lisa Genova; and I Was Told There'd Be Cake, by Sloane Crosley.  The first is a powerful tearjerker, a 30-tissue, sobbing, killer of a book about early-onset Alzheimers, to be discussed this very night at bookclub. The second is a funny and irreverent look at life as a 30-something New York single woman, with whom I have absolutely nothing in common, but about whom I still enjoyed reading. I'm just SOOO glad I'm not a single 30-something woman in NYC (sorry Stacy, but gosh the "men" are the pits!). What have you all been reading lately? Tell me!

So life with AL Amyloidosis goes on. Sometimes I'm surprised by how well we are handling it. I just want it to go away, but it won't do it on its own, so I've got to keep up the fight. I think once I get to the transplant stage, reality will be hitting me over the head with a baseball bat, but for now it is very manageable. The next treatment is on Friday, and then next week on Tuesday/Friday again. Say a prayer, please, that my test results are good next week. It is a little scary waiting. I HATE WAITING. Guess I'd better get used to it.